Director: James Cameron Cinematographer: Mikael Salomon
Evolving from an idea writer/director James Cameron had while still in high school, the film follows the search for an American submarine, the Ohio-class USS Montana, that has sunk in the Caribbean. The U.S. search and recovery team works with a civilian oil platform crew, racing against Soviet vessels to recover the boat, but deep in the ocean, they encounter something unexpected. An ambitious, and at times gripping, underwater sci-fi adventure with a troubled production history that polarised critics, with some praising the film for its claustrophobic tension and interesting characters while others attacked it for the fantasy ending and for being overlong.
Special Edition (DVD)
The Abyss/Alien/Aliens (DVD)
i, Robot / Independence Day / Prometheus / The Abyss [4 Sci-Fi Film Favourites] DVD
Widescreen Extended Version [Laser Disc]
Ridley Scott/ James Cameron Surviving Ocean, Space, and the Unknown Quadruple Feature: The Abyss/ Alien/ Aliens/ Prometheus DVD 4 Pack
- Listed among Time Out’s 1000 Films to Change Your Life (2006)
- Ed Harris as Virgil “Bud” Brigman, Deep Core’s foreman and Lindsey’s estranged husband.
- Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio as Dr. Lindsey Brigman, designer of the rig and Bud’s estranged wife.
- Michael Biehn as US Navy SEAL Lieutenant Hiram Coffey, the commander of the Navy SEAL team.
- J.C. Quinn as Arliss “Sonny” Dawson
- Leo Burmester as Catfish De Vries, a worker on the rig and a Vietnam veteran Marine who is skeptical of the SEALs.
- Kimberly Scott as Lisa “One Night” Standing
- Todd Graff as Alan “Hippy” Carnes, a conspiracy theorist who believes that the NTIs have been covered up by the CIA. He carries a pet rat on his shoulder.
- John Bedford Lloyd as Jammer Willis
- Chris Elliott as Bendix
- Kidd Brewer as Lew Finler
- George Robert Klek as Wilhite, a US Navy SEAL
- Christopher Murphy as Schoenick, a US Navy SEAL
- Adam Nelson as Ensign Monk, a US Navy SEAL
- Richard Warlock as Dwight Perry
- Jimmie Ray Weeks as Leland McBride
- J. Kenneth Campbell as DeMarco
- William Wisher, Jr. as Bill Tyler, a reporter
- Ken Jenkins as Gerard Kirkhill
Directed by James Cameron
Produced by Gale Anne Hurd
Screenplay by James Cameron
Music by Alan Silvestri
Cinematography Mikael Salomon
Edited by Conrad Buff IV, Joel Goodman, Howard E. Smith
Running time 140 minutes
Country United States